As a prominent New York divorce and family law firm, GELLER Law provides it's clients with specialized representation across the broad spectrum of divorce and family law.
While many people find themselves contemplating divorce, there are instances where couples choose to live separate and apart for a variety of reasons. In these situations, a separation agreement is often necessary to highlight, define and resolve issues that are important to each spouse and to the dynamic of their family relationship.
Some of these issues include:
- Child custody and visitation;
- Child support and child care;
- Spousal maintenance (also known as spousal support; formerly known as alimony);
- Distribution of marital assets, including but not limited to:
- marital residence,
- real property,
- enhanced earning capacity (i.e., graduate degrees, licenses, etc.),
- pension plans, deferred compensation, and many other major issues.
NOTE: Though a separation agreement may or may not be made in contemplation of an imminent or future divorce, it does not preclude the commencement of a divorce proceeding nor does it force the spouses to begin one.
Contemplating a Separation from your spouse?
Photograph courtesy of M.S.A.